Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy Record Store Day!

Some local record stores either had exclusives, deals, in-store performances, food, or hosted record shows.  My first stop was at Fifth Element where a lot of great stuff went down.  They had 15% off the entire store, free burgers and brats, gift bags, and in-store performances by DJ's and Eyedea & Abilities.  I didn't stay for E&A (had some used records to hunt down), but I did swing by Fifth Element just as they went on.  The place was filled to capacity and supposedly hotter than a mofo (I'm getting too old to risk my life like that).  I saw Otto all hot and bothered outside trying to catch a breather from the inferno inside.  And in case they're reading this, I also spoke with some lovely Norwegian exchange students and forgot to give them some promo CD's that I had in my bag.  I totally forgot that I had them on me.  If you ladies swing through a show of mine, be sure to say 'hi' and ask me for some CD's!

After buying out Fifth Element and finally copping that Micranot's Return of the Travellah's I was off to a record show being held at Soo Visual Arts Center on Lyndale.  I wasn't expecting much.  The last time I went to a record show with the same hosts, it was a bunch of 50's & 60's rock-n-roll garbage.  I was pleasantly surprised and ended up picking up 15 records for $14 (dude threw me The Supremes' Floy Joy for free because the cover was nasty).

I walked across the street to my favorite coffee joint, Bob's Java Hut, where I could take in the beautiful people and weather that were out and about in Uptown.  After organizing my iTunes library, I walked a block to Treehouse.  I dug through their recent used arrivals and probably paid too much for a few records that just looked interesting.  I even paid too much for music from Miami Vice II.  Really I just bought the record for the cover.  Mmmmm, Testarosaaaaa.  I heard that Treehouse got a bunch of the Record-Store-Day-exclusives, but they sold out with the hotness.  Next year, I'm not staying up so late the night before.

It was an excellent day and appeared to be a very successful day for all of our wonderful record stores.  All of them were bustling with action and, more importantly, had registers ringing off the hook.  Viva la record stores!

I wasn't in the mood to snap any pics today which I regret now.  Here's some examples of what lovely music you can find in the crates.  Have a listen.  That's what I'm about to do all night.




No comments:

Post a Comment