Monday, May 25, 2009

It's Tiiiiiiiiiime!

It's time for some West End boogie.  Disco has been seeing a revival lately in many different forms.  Whether it be edits, new disco, Italo, or obscurities it's been showing up everywhere and has even been influencing some of the new pop sound.  One of the proofs of disco's resurgence has been in the re-issues of some of the smaller labels that had slept-on gems.  I've been a huge fan of disco ever since I started buying records because 1) I love to dance and 2) disco records tend to be cheaper than any other used records.  Recently I've been getting into some of the re-issues.  My favorite series of re-presses has to be the boogie on the West End label.  I actually have about a half dozen of them.  With all that said, you could imagine my excitement when I came across an original pressing on West End.  And it's not just any disco track, this is the real deal.  It even has a nice disco break in the middle.  Enjoy!

Stone, "Time (Vocal)" from a 1981 West End 12"

While I was enjoying my Memorial Day digging through records I ran into Tasha from Black Blondie.  I sure hope I don't need to mention how much I absolutely love Black Blondie.  I truly believe that they are the next big thing to come out of Minneapolis.  I had a bunch of stuff in my satchel I sifted through to find something to get signed but I couldn't find anything worthwhile.  So I hopped upstairs to the CDs and bought my third copy of Do You Remember Who You Wanted To Be?.  I ripped it open and cheese-ily approached the ever-gracious Tasha for an autograph (nerd!  I know).  She was very kind and happily obliged.  I asked her about some of their upcoming gigs and the one that I'm looking forward to most is at the 501 Bar by Block E where they'll be playing a full set and then sticking around for the rest of the evening as a three-piece without the drums.  She says that they'll probably do some dub/reggaeton stuff.  Be there!  June 6th and it's free?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment