Saturday, October 17, 2009

Homage to Eric Inkala

Eric Inkala has been a staple of the Minneapolis art community for a minute. He has a very distinct style. He incorporates bright colors, graffiti imagery, and lines that flow effortlessly into and out of each other. First Amendment art gallery held a goodbye show for him a month ago as he is moving onto bigger things out in NYC. It's bittersweet because Mpls lost another great artist to NYC, but it's always good to see a homegrown artist progress and represent Mpls to the fullest out of state. I went to said show with the intention of finally purchasing a piece of Inkala's art. Of course my favorite piece was already taken by the time I got to the show.

Inspired by the show and disappointed that I didn't have an Inkala piece for one of my drab walls, I decided to create my own Inkala-inspired piece with some twists that are part of my style. You could call this lil piece 'biting' but I prefer to call it an homage to Inkala. I think it's fair especially since I make a blatant call-out in the bottom right of the piece ("Ink").

Inkala definitely left his mark on me as well as the city. Some of his pieces can be found on the sides of buildings and parking ramps. In Uptown, you can check out his work on the side of the Caribou on Lake Street across from Bryant Lake Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment