Saturday, April 16, 2011

Happy Record Store Day!


Brother Ali starts responding to the topic of illegal downloading but eventually gets into physical music. Many of my feelings towards physical music, especially vinyl, he so eloquently explains. I find this to be particularly relevant on a day like today. Below are some of my favorite comments.

"I wanna live with this music. I had something to bring home: art, lyrics and photographs... I had a physical connection with it. You have to take care of it... you start building a collection that lives in your house of all this music that means so much to you."

"The relationship that you have with your music is HURT when all you're doing is downloading it... that's an estranged relationship you're having with that music."

"Very seldom when you're downloading stuff are you hearing things the way that we're intending you to hear them... we still practice the art of making an album... it takes you on a journey... it's an experience"
___________________

I thought I'd share some tasty treats that, as far as I can tell, are only available on vinyl. The first one is a fun edit and remix of Lyrics Born's "Calling Out" with Hall & Oats that is featured on a very diverse, but recommended remix EP by Los Bandidos.

This next one is a silky edit of Sergio Mendes' tropical "Rhoda" with an extended shoulder-shaking break intro for all of you DJ's out there.


Lastly we have J. Rawls' jazzed-out tribute to Dilla found on sweet blue wax. Grab a cognac and a porch for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment